Friday, September 11, 2009

Loom beading project

Wasn't in the mood to think of new design for my bracelet and wanted to keep busy with something that is a no-brainer (but this was not a no-brainer I assumed it to be). Opened my cupboard and saw the loom I bought during one of the fair. I have never done this before but as there was a ready-made pattern to follow; that decided all of it.

The first thing to do was to thread the loom. The accompanied instruction leaflet was pretty easy to read but not too easy to understand. Luckily, I borrowed Alexandra Kidd's "Beginner's Guide To Beading On A Loom" from the library for another project and the pictures and tips in the book helped.

The next problem came when I ran out of thread that goes horizontally across. How in the world am I suppose to extend the thread? Kidd came to the rescue again. The final problem was how am I suppose to end off and what to do with the vertical threads? Well, there is Kidd again. Thank goodness for the book!




This is the (almost) completed work. The only thing that is left is to attach the clasp to the bead fabric. It took me about 2 hours to get this stage, which I think is pretty fast (and forgetting relatively easy with the help of the book). I am willing to try another project. I am thinking of making a bracelet for a friend who is feeling low at the moment and giving it to her when she comes over (hopefully soon). Maybe I'll pick one from Kidd's book.

This time round I'll go for Toho beads if I can get my hands onto some of them. The problem with the ones from the kit was that they are irregular in size and length so the beads don't sit as nicely as I would like them to be. Got to go up the net to source out seed beads suppliers here later. I missed my craft suppliers back home!

Yet that being said, the thrill of looking for good suppliers her is still something worth looking forward to. The good thing about moving over here is that I have time to indulge in things I like even after work.

No comments: